Friday, June 4, 2010

Saas Fee!


view 1 from my balcony


view 2


my outdoor office

On Tuesday I arrived in Saas Fee. The journey started early in Como after the best croissant I've ever had in my life. Don't tell the French... I found a pasticceria in town that had these amazing marmalade filled croissants which the Italians call brioche. I had one every morning in Como with a cappucino. Oh, how I miss them...
Anyhow, I digress. My train leaving Como for Milan was quite late as is the norm in Italy so I arrived in Milan only to see my connecting train to Brig pulling out of the station. Swiss trains are never late! I had lunch in Milan before getting another train and two hours later I was in Brig which is just over the Italian border.
In Brig I boarded a bus for Saas Fee which is about an hour from Brig and one of the most exciting bus rides I've ever taken going up up up winding roads. Saas Fee is the highest town and the last stop. There are no automobiles allowed inside the town so when the bus gets to the station, it pulls up to an enormous wooden door that slides open and the bus pulls inside. From there I walked a short distance to the hotel and checked in. I got a suite upstairs all to myself! Yay!
After checking in I went for a run on the trails that go above the town before dinner and our meeting at 8pm. It was great to see some of the friends I made last year and meet the new students. As it turns out one of the students is Jared Pappas Kelly who used to run the Critical Line Gallery in Tacoma and went to Evergreen at the same time as I did. He's been living and teaching in the UK for the past few years. Small world!

No comments: